What Is RADON?
RADON is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see it, smell, or taste radon but it may be a problem in your home. When you breathe air containing radon, you increase the chances of getting lung cancer. In fact the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home contains high levels of radon, you have a higher risk for lung cancer. Radon is colorless, chemically uncreative inert gas, it is the densest gas known.
Where in the U.S. Can RADON be Found?
Radon comes from natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water, entering the air you breathe. It can infiltrate any type of building, home, office, school, and build up to high levels. But you and your family will most likely receive your greatest exposure where you spend most of your time-your home.
Should you test for RADON?
Testing is the only way to know if your home has radon gas. There are no immediate symptoms that will alert you to the presence of radon. It typically takes years of exposure before any problems surface and then it's too late.
THE U.S. ENVIROMENTAL PROTECTION ANGENCY, SURGEON GENERAL, AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION, AMERICAN MEDICIAL ASSOCIATION AND NATIONAL SAFTY CONCIL all recommend testing your home for RADON!
Can You Fix the Problem?
If we find that your home has high levels of radon, there is a way to reduce the concentrations. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels. Most radon problems can be fixed by a do-it-yourselfer for less than $700.00. Otherwise there professionals who can do it for you, they charge about $1,300.00 Console your yellow pages or give me a call.
IF YOU SUSPECT RADON IN YOUR HOME OR PLACE OF BUSINESS, PLEASE HAVE IT TESTED IT’S YOUR HEALTH.